Gift Lab #1: Gaby vs. the Laptop Bag
1) Product Name: Alexander Girard Laptop Sling in Retrospective
2) Background Research: I travel for work often, and am almost always lugging around a laptop. This laptop sling was in the studio, because I had just photographed it, and I was in desperate need of a new laptop carrier. I grabbed it as I ran out the door to catch my flight.
3) Hypothesis: If I use this laptop bag, then the way I travel (and my life!) will be changed for the better.
4) Experiment: Take the laptop sling to Wisconsin for the printing of the Summer 2010 catalog.
5) Results: I loved this bag! I have never really spent anytime thinking about it, but carrying your laptop around horizontally is not nearly as easy as carrying it vertically. I noticed right away how much easier it was to walk up and down the airplane aisles with that and a carry-on. I was happy to discover that I didn’t end up smacking anyone upside the head with the edge of the bag, which unfortunately for those who are on my flights … is not all that uncommon for me. And something else I loved, three separate people stopped me to ask about my bag and tell me how cool they thought it was!
The main draw back I had with this bag was that I chose the black and white one (Retrospective), and while I think the design is really great, due to the fact that I often wear dark denim, the side of
the bag that was up against my pant leg picked up some of the blue. Not really the worst thing in the world to happen, but if this is an issue for you, you might want to go with one of the more colorful versions.
Conclusion: The way I travel changed! As for changing my life … well, people stopping me to tell me I have great taste, and making me feel like a trend setter didn’t make it worse
About the researcher: Gaby is a photographer and associate art director at UncommonGoods. She enjoys baking, crafting, throwing parties and wandering around the city.