Earth Month is a special time of year here at UncommonGoods, and we’re celebrating all month long with special blog posts on sustainability and profiles of UG artists that are doing their part for the planet. We’re also giving away Earth friendly products all month long!
Don’t forget to check out our profile of recycled glass artists Vawn and Mike Gray and enter for your chance to win a Recycled Glass Night Light—but if you need a really cool, inexpensive, recycled gift now, take a look at these great handmade Guitar String Bracelets, designed by Hannah Garrison and Steve Bernstein!
Hannah began crafting bracelets made from used guitar strings for musician friends and their families. When she saw Steve’s Craigslist add reading: “Do you have any ideas for interesting products made with guitar strings?” Hannah knew she was on to something. Now, the team makes recycled guitar string bracelets in five colors, works with big name musicians to create special bracelets for charity and runs an eco-friendly business.
Hannah even sent us a list of Earth Month reminders of how to stay green while living like a rock star. Her list includes:
- -Carpool to the next concert.
- -Get energy efficient speakers, you’ll use less electricity
- (and save money on your electric bill).
- -Play acoustic when you’re practicing or working on new material. “You’ll conserve energy and also hear some cool nuances that you might have otherwise missed.”
- -Use a chalkboard or marker board when writing out song lyrics or set lists.
- -Listen to a song that reminds you to help save the planet.
Are you a guitarist? Do you know someone who is? Your old guitar strings can end up in a bracelet, too! Just send them to:
Wear Your Music
112 Main Street,
Woonsocket, RI 02895
Do you play an instrument or practice another form of art? We want to know how you stay green while sharing your talent! And don’t forget to check back often for more recycled gift ideas and the next Earth Month giveaway!