So your bestie’s a Taurus. Or maybe a Gemini. That’s great and all, but the stars won’t help you pick a birthday present they love. Just leave that kind of thing to us! This month, we’ve got 20 of our coolest new items on deck, so you don’t have to think too hard about that “gifting” thing, at least as far as May birthdays go. Read on for every one of ’em.
1. A pretty piece of art that toasts their home state.
A watercolor portrait of their home state’s natural wonders + a super-cute acrostic = one happy birthday girl (or boy, of course).
2. A game that’s perfect for friends with #nofilter.
We know, we know, #nofilter’s an Instagram thing. But something tells us you know a little someone who’s equally deserving of that hashtag, and chances are, they’ll love this meme-tastic game that tasks them with choosing an image’s cleverest caption. (Please forgive us for saying “meme-tastic.”)
3. A sculpted llama that’s just the right size for a succulent.
Whether they love llamas or little green friends (hey, plants have personality, too), they’ll delight in the presence of this petite sweetie on their window sill.
4. An all-in-one kit that lets them grow their own palm tree.
Did you know palm trees cost $20,000 a pop? Don’t freak. You can give the gift of a seedling—and the satisfaction that comes from hand-rearing it—for a mere $15. Sounds good to us.
5. Coasters that add a psychedelic touch to any table.
No, you’re not hallucinating. They’re just as mesmerizing as they look.
6. An elegant spot to stash corks from past toasts.
Everybody has that one wine-drinking friend whose junk drawer is filled to the brim with corks. Give them somewhere special to stash old stoppers so they become “keepsakes” instead of, well, “junk.”
7. A trio of soaps in surprising (and enticing) scents.
We’ve never smelled a white truffle and cantaloupe-scented soap before, but we’ll tell you what: we certainly won’t stop now.
8. Salt and pepper grinders that look just like little cacti.
With grinding mechanisms made from ceramic, not metal, they’re also sturdier than most.
9. A pouch with a secret message inside.
Print whatever you want (atop one of five different linings) for a gift that’s truly tailored to your pal.
10. Little gemstones that know just when to light up.
Made from real amethyst, rose quartz, and white quartz, these nightlights are equipped with a sensor that tells them when to glow—and when they should really lay low.
11. A shiny balloon-icorn that holds onto change.
Isn’t “balloon-icorn” the most fun to say? We thought so.
12. A handmade mug pressed with antique lace.
From “flat slab of clay” to “coffee-ready vessel,” maker Colleen Huth oversees every point in this intricate mug’s special journey.
13. An alternative to the “box” in “boxed wine.”
Listen, boxed wine is a good deal, and we certainly don’t judge your buds for buying it over bottled. But we do think they deserve something special to put it in that’s not, you know, a box.
14. A kit that’ll help them relax from head to toe.
Salt scrub. Lip balm. Whipped body butter. It’s all good stuff, and it’s all contained within a woven basket, so you don’t have to wrap it or anything.
15. A set of mismatched earrings for the sweet lover.
Friend can’t choose between popsicles and snowcones? We know which side we fall on, but we won’t give ’em a hard time. After all, these earrings can’t decide, either.
16. Pasta-shaped kitchen tools for carb devotees.
These are much more exciting than a box of pasta, we think.
17. A paper airplane that’ll please even techies.
“Paper airplane” doesn’t really do this thing justice. Using a Bluetooth®-enabled device, it connects to your friend’s phone, where they can control its movements using an app. No more sad nosedives, right?
18. A bangle embedded with stunning dried blooms.
Real flowers are nice, but they fade, and that’s a bummer. This bracelet, however, is evergreen… and ever-purple, to boot.
19. A dedicated spot for their favorite shower beverage.
If you’ve never had a shower beer, you’re missing out. This silicone caddy suctions to shower walls to keep your fave’s favorite brew on hand at all times.
20. A birthday candle made just for them.
It wouldn’t be a birthday without a candle, right? This one comes with their name and age printed on.